The certified Apprentice level requires beekeepers to have a minimum of knowledge of beekeeping. Ten lessons are provided each applicant to the program and the student is tested from the lesson material. The student has the opportunity to take an open book multiple-question test following the instruction or they may elect to take the exam without the instruction.
Normally, the apprentice certification is achieved through your local beekeeping association. Check with your local beekeeping organization regarding beginner instruction and certification programs. Your local organization will be able to furnish booklets, provide instruction, and administer certification exams. The certification test can be administered by your local association in printed format or your instructor may direct you to take the test online.
For those not able to seek certification through a local organization due to distance or schedule, you could use the online certification testing program. It is also useful for individuals that are required by their city regulations to be certified before bringing honeybees inside city limits. If you catch a swarm in April, you may not be able to enroll in any local beekeeping class for that season, so your only option would be to take the online certification, to avoid legal issues.
Online Certification Test Pilot Program
This program is in its beginning stages, and we hope to make it a more mainstream option. The cost of the online certification test is $20. You can register for this certification test in the online store.
This is how online testing works:
- Purchase the online certification testing fee online at our WASBA store (http://wasba.org/product/apprentice-level-online-certification/)
The instructor from your local association probably already provided an Apprentice Booklet, but a link to download the Apprentice booklet is e-mailed to you anyway. A Spanish version of the booklet is available on request.
- The online test access link is emailed to you
- You can take the online test at any time (in one or multiple sessions, since it will save your selections)
- If the result is a passing score, then an Apprentice Certificate will be awarded and you are included in the Master Beekeeper Certification Program database as a Certified Apprentice Beekeeper. The certificate and patch is mailed to your local association (the one you selected when paying for the online testing fee).
- If test sections did not receive a passing score, the participant will be notified for re-test and the process is repeated.