The certified Apprentice level requires beekeepers to have a minimum of knowledge and experience of beekeeping. Ten lessons are provided each applicant to the program and the student is tested from the lesson material. The student has the opportunity to take an open book exam following the instruction or they may elect to take the exam without the instruction.
Normally, the apprentice certification is achieved through your local beekeeping association. Check with your local beekeeping organization regarding beginner instruction and certification programs. Your local organization will be able to furnish booklets, provide instruction, and administer certification exams. For those not able to seek certification through a local organization due to distance or schedule, there are two options:
- online certification pilot program.
- correspondence program.
The online certification and the correspondence programs are geared toward to those who live outside of Washington State or who do not live near a WSBA local beekeeper association. It is also useful for individuals that are required by their city regulations to be certified before bringing honeybees inside city limits. If you catch a swarm in April, you may not be able to enroll in any local beekeeping class for that season, so your only option would be to take the online or the correspondence certification, to avoid legal issues.
Online Certification Pilot Program (Spokane County Only)
We are currently piloting online testing for the Apprentice Certification program. The pilot is limited to registered club members in Spokane County who were unable to register for classroom instruction. The cost of the online certification is $20. You can register for this certification online by contacting Ari Alvarez for instructions on how to register for online testing. The time to complete this certification is about one business day (after you are finished studying the material).
This is how online testing works:
- Verify you are a club member in good standing in the Spokane County area
- Receive a link to the Apprentice registration in the online store and make a purchase
- An Apprentice booklet is mailed to you
- The online test access link is emailed to you
- Once you read the booklet, you can take the online test at any time (in one or multiple sessions, since it will save your selections)
- If the result is a passing score, then an Apprentice Certificate will be awarded and the beekeeper is included in the Master Beekeeper Certification Program database as a Certified Apprentice Beekeeper. The certificate and patch is sent as indicated on the application form.
- If test sections did not receive a passing score, the participant will be notified for re-test and the process is repeated.
Correspondence Certification Program
Click here for Application form (PDF)
The cost of the apprentice program is $15 ($10 for the book and $5 for patch). WSBA provides a self addressed and stamped envelope for the test to be returned. To apply for the exam or to purchase the Apprentice booklet, contact James Tunnell at email@example.com or 360-568-7451.
Testing by correspondence is as follows:
- Apprentice tests are mailed after receiving the testing fee and application form.
- The assigned Committee member receives the completed tests and grades the results.
- If the result is a passing score, then the test result is sent to the participant. An Apprentice Certificate will be awarded and the beekeeper is included in the Master Beekeeper Certification Program database as a Certified Apprentice Beekeeper.
- The certificate and patch is sent as indicated on the application form.
- If test sections did not receive a passing score, the test section is returned to the participant for re-test and the process is repeated (within reason).